The Church Our Story
Unit 2: Pharisees and Sadducees
Pharisees and Sadducees
Film Focus Point: This program contrasts the beliefs and practices of the Pharisees and Sadducees and notes some of the reasons why the New Testament often portrays Jesus in conflict with each sect.
Text Focus Point: Page 64
What were the keys to holiness for the Pharisees? The Sadducees?
What aspects of the teachings of the Pharisees did Jesus disagree with?
What aspects of the teachings of the Sadducees did Jesus disagree with?
How might the division between the Pharisees and Sadducees reflect the divisions within Christianity?
What might Jesus find objectionable about some Christian practices today?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Unit 1: Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus
- Unit 1: Spoken Word Made Flesh
- Unit 1: Cathryn's Story (tooseeJesus.com)
- Unit 1: Four Marks (Music Video)
- Unit 1: Why Do Popes Change Their Name?
- Unit 2: Fr. Barron Commentary on Vatican II
- Unit 2: Pentecost in Two Minutes
- Unit 2: Are Sacraments Necessary for Salvation?
- Unit 2: We Are One Body
- Unit 2: What Do Catholics Mean By Authority?
- Unit 2: Socrates Meets a Moral Relativist
- Unit 2: Immaculate Conception
- Unit 2: Song of the Body of Christ
- Unit 2: Roman Persecution of Christians
- Unit 2: Constantine Christian Turning Points
- Unit 2: Scriptural Basis for Purgatory
- Unit 2: The Monastery of Cluny
- Unit 2: Christian Denominations
- Unit 3: Misreading Genesis (Fr. Barron)
- Unit 3: The Sacraments: Infant Baptism
- Unit 3: Pope Francis on His Love for the Eucharist
- Unit 3:The Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15)
- Unit 3: Roman Persecution Christian Turning Points Part III
- Unit 3: Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification
- Unit 3: Religious Liberty from a Roman Catholic Perspective
- Unit 4: Why Be Catholic: Science and the Existence of God
- Unit 4: The Bible: A Brief History
- Unit 4: Who Were the Church Fathers?
- Unit 4: The Creed
- Unit 4: The Galileo Case (Dr. Thomas Woods)
- Unit 4: Papal Infallibility (Fr. Barron)
- Unit 4: Martyrdom of Perpetua
- Unit 4: Cloistered: God’s Women of Steel
- Unit 4: Montecassino Abbey
- Unit 4: St. Francis—Brother Sun, Sister Moon—The Conversion Scene
- Unit 4: Carmel Mission
- Unit 4: Basilica Restore the Light—History
- Unit 5: Mysteries of the Church: The Seven Sacraments
- Unit 5: Why Catholics Do What They Do (In Church)
- Unit 5: Miracle of Lanciano Italy
- Unit 5: Seven Sacraments of Initiation
- Unit 5: Grace in the Real Presence
- Unit 5: The Eucharist and You
- Unit 6: What Is Catholic Social Teaching?
- Unit 6: Catholic Relief General Awareness Video
- Unit 6: This Is What Solidarity Looks Like
- Unit 6: Charity and Responsibility
- Unit 6: The Popes and the Jews
- Unit 6: Why Catholics Care about People Living in Poverty
- Unit 6: Who is Dorothy Day?
- Unit 6: Catholicism and the Just War
- Unit 7: Litany of the Saints
- Unit 7: St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Unit 7: Joy Story
- Unit 7: Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Unit 7: Patron Saints
- Unit 7: How to Become a Saint
- Unit 7: The 67 Miracles of Lourdes
- Unit 8: The Catholic Church: Builder of Civilization
- Activities: Church History Project Ideas
- Links of Interest: Links of Interest
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Confession
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Conscience
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Dei Verbum
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Faith
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Four Traditions of Authorship
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Freedom
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Holy Orders
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Holy Spirit
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Humanity Divinity
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Mary
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Matrimony
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Moral Act
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Sacrament of Baptism
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Scripture and Tradition
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Trinity
- Worksheets: Additional Related Worksheets