Unit 1: Spoken Word Made Flesh
Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus
Film Focus Point: The video, "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus." reflects the increasing sentiment in contemporary culture, which denigrates the importance of religion in one’s spirituality. The second video, "Spoken Word Made Flesh–Father John Hollowell," is a rebuttal by Fr. John Hollowell to the assertions made by Jeffrey Bethke in the first video.
Watch Jeffrey Bethke's video "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus"
Text Focus Point: Pages 13-14
- How does Jeffrey Bethke differentiate between religion and faith in Jesus?
- What criticisms about religion made by Mr. Bethke are arguably valid? Which are unfair and inaccurate?
- What insights by Fr. John Hollowell best address Mr. Bethke’s sentiments?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Unit 1: Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus
- Unit 1: Cathryn's Story (tooseeJesus.com)
- Unit 1: Four Marks (Music Video)
- Unit 1: Why Do Popes Change Their Name?
- Unit 2: Fr. Barron Commentary on Vatican II
- Unit 2: Pentecost in Two Minutes
- Unit 2: Are Sacraments Necessary for Salvation?
- Unit 2: We Are One Body
- Unit 2: What Do Catholics Mean By Authority?
- Unit 2: Socrates Meets a Moral Relativist
- Unit 2: Immaculate Conception
- Unit 2: Song of the Body of Christ
- Unit 2: Pharisees and Sadducees
- Unit 2: Roman Persecution of Christians
- Unit 2: Constantine Christian Turning Points
- Unit 2: Scriptural Basis for Purgatory
- Unit 2: The Monastery of Cluny
- Unit 2: Christian Denominations
- Unit 3: Misreading Genesis (Fr. Barron)
- Unit 3: The Sacraments: Infant Baptism
- Unit 3: Pope Francis on His Love for the Eucharist
- Unit 3:The Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15)
- Unit 3: Roman Persecution Christian Turning Points Part III
- Unit 3: Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification
- Unit 3: Religious Liberty from a Roman Catholic Perspective
- Unit 4: Why Be Catholic: Science and the Existence of God
- Unit 4: The Bible: A Brief History
- Unit 4: Who Were the Church Fathers?
- Unit 4: The Creed
- Unit 4: The Galileo Case (Dr. Thomas Woods)
- Unit 4: Papal Infallibility (Fr. Barron)
- Unit 4: Martyrdom of Perpetua
- Unit 4: Cloistered: God’s Women of Steel
- Unit 4: Montecassino Abbey
- Unit 4: St. Francis—Brother Sun, Sister Moon—The Conversion Scene
- Unit 4: Carmel Mission
- Unit 4: Basilica Restore the Light—History
- Unit 5: Mysteries of the Church: The Seven Sacraments
- Unit 5: Why Catholics Do What They Do (In Church)
- Unit 5: Miracle of Lanciano Italy
- Unit 5: Seven Sacraments of Initiation
- Unit 5: Grace in the Real Presence
- Unit 5: The Eucharist and You
- Unit 6: What Is Catholic Social Teaching?
- Unit 6: Catholic Relief General Awareness Video
- Unit 6: This Is What Solidarity Looks Like
- Unit 6: Charity and Responsibility
- Unit 6: The Popes and the Jews
- Unit 6: Why Catholics Care about People Living in Poverty
- Unit 6: Who is Dorothy Day?
- Unit 6: Catholicism and the Just War
- Unit 7: Litany of the Saints
- Unit 7: St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Unit 7: Joy Story
- Unit 7: Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Unit 7: Patron Saints
- Unit 7: How to Become a Saint
- Unit 7: The 67 Miracles of Lourdes
- Unit 8: The Catholic Church: Builder of Civilization
- Activities: Church History Project Ideas
- Links of Interest: Links of Interest
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Confession
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Conscience
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Dei Verbum
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Faith
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Four Traditions of Authorship
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Freedom
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Holy Orders
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Holy Spirit
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Humanity Divinity
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Mary
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Matrimony
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Moral Act
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Sacrament of Baptism
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Scripture and Tradition
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Supplemental PowerPoints: Trinity
- Worksheets: Additional Related Worksheets