Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
Film Focus: Join Fr. Brad Doyle, the host of Coffee Talk, as he discusses the twenty-one Ecumenical Councils held by the Catholic Church. Although he is unable to provide an in -depth discussion of each council, he does touch briefly upon several of the major councils and their major proclamations and defines what it means to be an ecumenical council.
Text Focus: Pages 504-511
1. Pretend that a younger sibling sees your homework tonight and sees the words “ ecumenical council.” Give them a simple explanation of what this means.
2. What did the Council of Nicaea clarify? Why is this important for our understanding of the person of Jesus?
3. What is the significance of the title theotokos? Which council gave Mary this title?
4. Why was the Council of Trent held and what were some of the important doctrinal issues which were discussed at that council?
5. Do ecumenical councils create new doctrine or do they simply clarify what is already believed ?
Explain your answer.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
- Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: The Parables
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation