Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
Film Focus: In another episode of Catholic Central, Libby and Kai, discuss the Book of Revelation. They begin the video by discussing the genre of apocalyptic literature in general and continue by touching upon some of the specifics of the Book of Revelation. The video concludes with a reminder that the book is not to be understood as a prediction of things to come.
Text Focus: Pages 490-502
1. What are some typical features of apocalyptic literature? What is a contemporary piece of apocalyptic literature, television, or movie that you have seen recently? What are some other examples of apocalyptic literature in Scripture?
2. Explain how to read the Book of Revelation to someone who has just started to read the Bible.
Be sure to discuss how it is divided.
3. How are numbers used in the Book of Revelation? Which numbers are important? What do they represent?
4. Should the Book of Revelation be viewed as a prediction of the precise date or sequence of
events of the end of time? Explain your answer.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
- Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: The Parables
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation