Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
Film Focus: In this video, Rev. Dr. Jayme Mathias discusses the authorship of the Gospel of John and proposes the idea that the “beloved disciple” in this Gospel is a symbol of a good Christian rather than an actual historical person. He concludes the video by discussing some of the unique things we learn about the author of the book of John.
Text Focus: Pages 390-392
1. Why do we assume that John is the character that we call the “beloved disciple”?
2. Who else might be considered as the ‘beloved disciple”? Why might these be good suggestions?
3. Discuss the idea that the “beloved disciple” is not an actual person but rather a symbol for the
good believer? What do you think of this interpretation?
4. What are some other interesting things we learn about the author of the Gospel of John?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
- Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: The Parables
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation