Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
Film Focus: Fr. Jeff Mickler, SSP discusses the Acts of the Apostles as truly a tale of the acts of the Holy Spirit in the early Church. He walks the viewer through the most significant parts of the text as one who is discussing a beloved novel with which he is intimately familiar.
Text Focus: Pages 350-358
1. Why do you think that Christianity was initially called “the Way”?
2. Fr. Mickler speaks of the Acts of the Apostles as a good novel that he could not put down. Was this your experience with this book? What was your favorite part of this book? Who was the most interesting character?
3. What were some of the weaknesses in the early community? Do we still struggle with some of these same weaknesses today? Explain your answer.
In the early part of the Acts of the Apostles, Paul is a persecutor of Christians. What happens to make
him change? Have you ever had a moment that has m ade you make a dramatic change like St. Paul?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
- Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: The Parables
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation