Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 4: The Parables
Film Focus: In another episode of 3 Minute Theology, Joan Watson discusses the Parables of Jesus as both revelator-- in that they teach the listener about the beauty of the Kingdom of God --but also veiled for those who are not ready to see the mysteries.
Text Focus: Pages 192-196
1. Is Jesus trying to hide his message when he is speaking in parables? Explain your answer.
2. Where do we get the word for parable? How does knowing the entomology of this word help us
to gain a deeper understanding of Jesus’ parables?
3. How were these parables challenging for those who understood the coming of the Kingdom of
God in a worldly sense of the word kingdom?
4. Do you feel prepared to hear the mysteries of the parables? Why or why not? What can you do to make yourself more prepared?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
- Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
- Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation