Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
Film Focus: This video shows beautiful vistas of Capernaum while discussing some of its significant history. It also focuses on its importance as a historical site for the Gospels and the possibility that the ruins of the ancient house here belonged to the apostle, Peter.
Text Focus: Pages 116-124
1. What Scripture stories took place in the town of Capernaum?
2. What do you notice about the landscape in the town of Capernaum?
3. Discuss some of the stages of development unearthed by archeologists in Capernaum.
4. What archeological evidence is present to show that the house in Capernaum is historically the house of Peter?
5. Why are some of the ruins in Capernaum still unexcavated? Do you think this is a good decision?
Defend your opinion.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
- Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
- Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: The Parables
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation