Encountering Jesus in the New Testament (Third Edition)
Chapter 1: Who is Jesus and what makes him unique?
Film Focus: In this video, Bishop Robert Barron discusses Jesus’ question, “Who do you say that I am?”
Using Scripture references, he calls the listener to truly reflect upon what they believe about Jesus.
Text Focus: Pages 2-6
1. Bishop Barron notes that other religious teachers discuss “the way”, “the revelation”, or “the path” that they have found to follow while Jesus asks, “Who do you say I am?” Why is this significant for a faith-filled study of Jesus?
2. Jesus claims to be God. Thus, there are basically two possible answers to his question about his identity. What are these answers and why dothey matter?
3. Why is it significant that the Disciples were amazed and afraid when they saw Jesus?
4. How is Jesus different from the rabbis and the spiritual leaders who were his contemporaries?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: About the five discourse: Matthew's Gospel Course 2.2 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 10: What's up with all those Ecumenical Councils
- Chapter 10: Revelation. Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Jesus is calling YOU to evangelize!
- Chapter 9: Letter to the Hebrews
- Chapter 9: St. Paul's Letters
- Chapter 9: Pauline Letters. Catholic Central
- Chapter 8: John 6: the Bread of Life discourse
- Chapter 8: The Gospel of John. The Literary Art of the 7 Signs
- Chapter 8: "Authorship of the Gospel of John" -- Johannine Literature, Video 7
- Chapter 7: Overview of the Acts of the Apostles
- Chapter 7: St. Luke HD
- Chapter 7: The Parable of the Prodigal Son: Summary and Meaning
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Chapter 6: Matthew's and His Audience--Matthew's Gospel Course 1.4 Catholic Bible School
- Chapter 6: The Beatitudes: They Key to Joy
- Chapter 1: The Incarnation
- Chapter 5: The Paschal Mystery
- Chapter 5: The Gospel of Mark: Mark's Christology
- Chapter 5: St. Mark HD
- Chapter 4: The Temptation of Jesus
- Chapter 4: The Parables
- Chapter 4: Why did Jesus get baptized?
- Chapter 4: The Tradition of the Christmas Creche
- Chapter 3: 1st Century Nazareth Village Comes to Life
- Chapter 3: Israel's Northern Landscapes--Galilee & Golan Heights
- Chapter 3: Capernaum, the town of Jesus
- Chapter 2: What is Lectio Divina?
- Chapter 2: Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 2: Bishop Barron on How to Read the Bible
- Chapter 1: Did Historians Get Jesus' Birthdate Wrong?