YouTube Videos, Chapter 8: Consecrated Life Through the Ages
Consecrated Life through the Ages
Film Focus: This video discusses the transformation of religious life during the course of the past 2000 years. It begins by discussing the scriptural foundations for the celibate life and moves through history, touching upon each of the significant figures in the history of religious life.
Text Focus: Pages 311-316
- After the Great Persecution, how did early Christians seek to give themselves completely to the Faith? Why did they choose to do this?
- Who is St. Benedict of Nursia? What was his great contribution to monastic life?
- During the Middle Ages the monasteries of Europe had a major role in preserving culture. What are three or four things that monasteries did to help the culture during this era?
- How did mendicant orders differ from the orders that had come before them? Why is this significant?
- Different forms of religious life have prospered at different times in history based upon the needs of each society. Discuss how during each era religious communities adapted to meet the needs of their own society.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Introduction: Christian Vocation-It All Begins with a Call
- Introduction: 5 Steps to Finding Your Vocation
- Chapter 1: Universal Call to Holiness
- Chapter 1: We're All in This Together
- Chapter 1: Fr. Mike Schmitz--How to Discern
- Chapter 2: What is Love?
- Chapter 2: Complementarity of the Sexes
- Chapter 2: Jason Evert: Friendship-A Time for Discernment
- Chapter 3: The Secret of Matrimony
- Chapter 3: Everything You Wanted to Know About Marriage Prep
- Chapter 3: Convalidation Brings Couples into the Full Life of the Church
- Chapter 4: Strong Families are the Foundation of a Healthy Society
- Chapter 4: You, Me and NFP-Infertility & NaPro
- Chapter 4: The Family is a Little Church
- Chapter 5: Humanae Vitae-50 Years On...
- Chapter 5: What Exactly is an Annulment?
- Chapter 5: Why Does the Church Discriminate Against Gays?
- Chapter 5: Marriage & Cohabitation
- Chapter 6: The Sacrament of Orders
- Chapter 6: The Role of the Bishop
- Chapter 6: What is the Difference Between a Priest and a Deacon?
- Chapter 7: What is Your Discernment Story?
- Chapter 7: The Gift of the Priesthood
- Chapter 7: The Day My Life Changed Forever
- Chapter 8: Vocation Testimony
- Chapter 8: More Young Christians Heed Call to Become Priests and Nuns