The History of the Catholic Church
Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI’s Prophetic Pro-Life Work
Film Focus: In this news report on the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of Humanae Vitae, several experts discuss the historical situation surrounding the release of this document and how it served as a prophetic warning for some of the abuses currently present in our culture.
Text Focus: Pgs. 298, 324
1. What was happening historically in 1968 which created the need for a Church document like Humanae Vitae?
2. What effect have these historical changes had on the formation of young people?
3. How was Humanae Vitae received when it was first release? Why do you think this was so?
4. How was Pope VI correct when he predicted that artificial birth control would
lead to the lowering of moral standard and the lowering of respect for women? Give two examples you have witnessed in your own life.
5. How can personally share the Church’s beautiful teaching on human sexuality
with those around you today?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill