Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
What Was Vatican II?
Film Focus: In this video, Br. Casey Cole, OFM discusses the historical context of the Second Vatican Council. He outlines the principles underlying the Second Vatican Council. He concludes the video by explaining that the reforms introduced at the Council are not following the modern culture but rather recapturing the essential traditions of the Church.
Text Focus: Pgs. 303-309
1. What was occurring historically in the 1960’s? How did this affect the
implementation of the reforms of the Second Vatican Council?
2. What are the two principles at the heart of the bishop’s agenda?
3. What is the difference between the Church’s approach to the world before the
Second Vatican Council and after the Second Vatican Council?
4. What was at the heart of the Second Vatican Council? Defend your answer.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill