Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
Film Focus: This video examines thesometimes earth shattering changes which were brought about during the Scientific Revolution as the old Aristotelian system was replaced by a more mathematical system of examining the universe.
Text Focus: Pgs. 221-224
1. What term was used to describe science before the nineteenth century? What disciplines were included in this term? What disciplines were not included in this term?
2. What was one of the most importance contributing factors to the Scientific
Revolution? Explain how they are related.
3. Name and describe several of the major shifts in the understanding of the natural philosophy which occurred during the Scientific Revolution?
4. Why was mathematics added to “Natural Philosophy”?
5. According to Butterfield, what new belief was born as a result of the Scientific
Revolution? Explain this new belief.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill