Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
Film Focus: In this video, Bishop Robert Barron masterfully looks at Martin Luther and the reformers and highlights their greatest contribution to theological discussion. He continues by explaining where their theology diverges from traditional Catholic theology.
Text Focus: Pgs. 183-184
1. What gestures to Martin Luther and the other reformers were made by the
Second Vatican Council? Why are these important?
2. What principle did Martin Luther and the other reformers highlight that is worth reiterating in the Catholic Church? How might we use these insights today?
3. Where does Luther’s theology diverge from traditional Catholic theology?
4. Did the Tridentine Fathers properly address or ignore the concerns of the Martin
Luther and the other reformers? Why or why not?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill