Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
Film Focus: Beginning with the notion of bishops as the leaders of their churches, the video explains how the five patriarchates in the early Church began to regard Rome, and the Bishop of Rome, as the center of unity and authority.
Text Focus: 48-49
1. Where does the word “bishop” originate? What is the role of a bishop?
2. What five cities emerged as the patriarchates in the early Church? Which patriarchate became the center of unity and authority?
3. Who was the first pope? What do we know about him?
4. Give an example of early Roman primacy. What in this example sounds similar to our pope today?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill