The History of the Catholic Church
Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
Fr. Mark Goring – Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
Film Focus: In this video, Fr. Mark Goring explains the Catholic practice of baptizing infants. He gives examples from both Scripture and the early Church Fathers to support this practice.
Text Focus: Pages 52
1. Is the tradition of baptizing infants a new practice? Explain your answer by listing early references to infant baptism in Scripture and the church fathers.
2. What is the difference between having personal sin and Original Sin? How does this understanding affect our view of the need for infant Baptism?
3. Does Baptism negate the need for a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? Why or why not?
4. Have you been to an infant Baptism? What do you remember about the
celebration of this sacrament? If you have not been to one, find a video of an
infant being baptized such as this:
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill