The History of the Catholic Church
Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle
Film Focus: In this video from the St. Paul Center, Scott Hahn discusses the importance of the figure of St. Paul in the history of the Catholic Church. He explains how St. Paul went from a fervent persecutor of Christians to a faithful missionary who overcame his previous objections.
Text Focus: Pages 18, 1923
1. Scott Hahn says that Paul “is the most thoroughly converted man in history.”
Why does he say this? Do you agree? Why or why not?
2. This video discusses conversion as an ongoing process. How have you experienced conversion as ongoing in your own life?
3. Summarize and discuss the three reasons why Saul was such a fierce persecutor of the early Christians.
4. How does Philippians 2:5-11 review and answer St. Paul’s earlier objections?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 1: Pentecost
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill