Chapter 1: Pentecost
Film Focus: This Catholic Central presentation begins by identifying of the true nature of the Holy Spirit. The historical foundations of Pentecost as a Jewish feast are
discussed as well as how this feast took on new meaning for the Church in light of the descent of the Holy Spirit. The video concludes with the reminder that the Holy Spirit is still active in the life of the Church and in the lives of all believers.
Text Focus: Pages 13-14, 17-18
1. The Holy Spirit is often mistakenly thought of as a dove or fire. However, there is so much more to who the Holy Spirit truly is as the third person of the Trinity. Explain the Catholic belief in the Holy Spirit to someone who has never heard of the Holy Spirit.
2. What is the origin of the celebration of Pentecost? How did this term take on new
meaning after Christ’s ascension into Heaven?
3. Why was the gift of the Holy Spirit significant for the early Church? Why is the
Pentecost called the “birthday of the Church”?
4. How have you experienced the Holy Spirit in your life? Reflect specifically on the quote from Pope Benedict XVI.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: Bishop Barron on Catholicism and the Reformation
- Chapter 10: The Life of Pope Francis in cartoon
- Chapter 10: World Youth Day: A look back at the bond between the youth and the Pope
- Chapter 10: Saint John Paul II, the Life of a Holy Pope
- Chapter 9: Humanae Vitae: Blessed Pope Paul VI's Prophetic Pro-Life Work
- Chapter 9: Find out how Benedict XV tried to Stop World War I
- Chapter 9: What Was Vatican II?
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on the Canonization of Junipero Serra
- Chapter 8: Pope St. Pius X and Modernism
- Chapter 8: A Brief History of the Events Leading up to Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: The Suppression of the Society of Jesus
- Chapter 7: Introduction to the Scientific Revolution
- Chapter 7: The Galileo Myth
- Chapter 6: What are the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Chapter 6: Bishop Robert Barron on the Council of Trent
- Chapter 1: Where did the Catholic Church come from? Catholic Basics with Fr. Bill
- Chapter 5: The Catholic Church and the Arts
- Chapter 5: Are Indulgences Biblical?
- Chapter 5: Bartolomé de Las Casas: The Protector of the Indians
- Chapter 4: Cluny Reform Movement Story
- Chapter 4: The High Middle Ages Scholars Universities
- Chapter 4: The Crusades: A Concise Overview for Students
- Chapter 3: The Canon of Scripture
- Chapter 3: Arius, the Divinity of Christ and the Dignity of Man
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (2) The Age of Constantine
- Chapter 3: Catholic History in Less Than Five Minutes: (4) The Early Church Fathers
- Chapter 2: St. Justin Martyr--Father and Apologist
- Chapter 2: Catholic History in Less than Five Minutes (3) The Development of the Papacy
- Chapter 2: Fr. Mark Goring--Why do Catholics Baptize Infants?
- Chapter 1: Scott Hahn – Saint Paul: Persecutor to Apostle