Chapter 10: The Seventh Commandment
The Seventh Commandment
Film Focus: In this video, Fr. Dan O’Reilly covers the Seventh Commandment and its relation to stealing. He discusses this in a nuanced way and defines stealing as “taking against the reasonable will of the owner.”
Text Focus: Pages 351–353
- Is there a reason that “taking” with a proper reason is not breaking the Seventh Commandment? Why or why not?
- Why is stealing wrong? How does stealing hurt the human person?
- Have you ever considered the Seventh Commandment to be about sharing? If yes, what do you do to practice this commandment? If not, what can you do to begin practicing this commandment in this manner?
- What are some little ways teens may steal without realizing? For example, cheating off someone else’s homework is a case of stealing without realizing. Give three to four other examples.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Introduction: Life in Jesus Christ
- Chapter 1: Vox Clamantis: The Principle of Subsidiarity
- Chapter 1: The Gift of Human Being
- Chapter 1: Life and Dignity of the Human
- Chapter 2: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 1: Prudence
- Chapter 2: Three Aspects of the Moral Act
- Chapter 3: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality
- Chapter 3: Relativism by Chris Stefanick
- Chapter 3: The Five Precepts of the Catholic Church
- Chapter 4: The Beatitudes Lesson (Catholic Version)
- Chapter 4: Do's and Don'ts of Corporal Works of Mercy
- Chapter 4: The Fruits of the Holy Spirit
- Chapter 5: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality -- Conscience
- Chapter 5: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 4: Courage
- Chapter 5: St. Thomas More HD
- Chapter 6: Psalm 51
- Chapter 6: Ignite Your Faith -- What is Sin?
- Chapter 6: 7 Deadly Sins -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 7: Bishop Barron on the Ten Commandments
- Chapter 7: Eucharistic Adoration
- Chapter 7: Why Do I Have to Go to Mass?
- Chapter 8: The Fourth Commandment
- Chapter 8: Just War?
- Chapter 8: Euthanasia
- Chapter 8: Gianna Jessen makes us look like Pathetic Cowards
- Chapter 9: Homesexuality and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 9: Crystalina's Testimony
- Chapter 10: Social Teaching -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Catholic Generosity Warms the Poor
- Chapter 10: C4 Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Should We Always Tell the Truth?
- Chapter 9: Leah Darrow of America's Next Top Model -- Conversion Story