Your Life in Christ: Foundations in Catholic Morality (Third Edition)
Chapter 8: Just War?
Film Focus: Fr. John Muir discusses the Catholic understanding of war referencing the movie American Sniper to illustrate this teaching. He advocates a middle road between war-mongering and pacifism. Additionally, he discusses the four criteria for a just war.
Text Focus: Pages 279–282
- What are the two extremes that Fr. Muir describes regarding attitudes toward war? Why might these be problematic?
- Does the Church ever morally allow for war? Why or why not?
- What are the four criteria for a just war?
- Is war ever an end in itself? Explain your answer.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: Psalm 51
- Chapter 9: Leah Darrow of America's Next Top Model -- Conversion Story
- Chapter 10: C4 Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Should We Always Tell the Truth?
- Chapter 10: The Seventh Commandment
- Chapter 10: Catholic Generosity Warms the Poor
- Chapter 10: Social Teaching -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 9: Crystalina's Testimony
- Chapter 9: Homesexuality and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 8: Gianna Jessen makes us look like Pathetic Cowards
- Chapter 8: Euthanasia
- Chapter 8: The Fourth Commandment
- Chapter 7: Why Do I Have to Go to Mass?
- Chapter 7: Eucharistic Adoration
- Chapter 7: Bishop Barron on the Ten Commandments
- Chapter 6: 7 Deadly Sins -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 6: Ignite Your Faith -- What is Sin?
- Introduction: Life in Jesus Christ
- Chapter 5: St. Thomas More HD
- Chapter 5: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 4: Courage
- Chapter 5: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality -- Conscience
- Chapter 4: The Fruits of the Holy Spirit
- Chapter 4: Do's and Don'ts of Corporal Works of Mercy
- Chapter 4: The Beatitudes Lesson (Catholic Version)
- Chapter 3: The Five Precepts of the Catholic Church
- Chapter 3: Relativism by Chris Stefanick
- Chapter 3: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality
- Chapter 2: Three Aspects of the Moral Act
- Chapter 2: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 1: Prudence
- Chapter 1: Life and Dignity of the Human
- Chapter 1: The Gift of Human Being
- Chapter 1: Vox Clamantis: The Principle of Subsidiarity