Chapter 8: The Fourth Commandment
The Fourth Commandment
Film Focus: Fr. Dan O’Reilly discusses the Fourth Commandment explaining that the commandment to honor and respect one’s parents extends to all those who are legitimately given authority. He details that this trains people to better follow and love God.
Text Focus: Pages 275–277
- The Fourth Commandment teaches us to honor and respect not only our biological parents but also others around us who are in authority. Who are some people in your life that you owe respect to because of this Commandment?
- Do you find it difficult to honor and obey your teachers and your parents when you disagree with them? Why do you think this is so? How should we respond in a situation like this one?
- Why does St. Thomas Aquinas say that we should love those in our family?
- Think of someone in your life who deserves greater honor and respect. Brainstorm two to three specific ways you can be better at accomplishing this starting today.
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Introduction: Life in Jesus Christ
- Chapter 1: Vox Clamantis: The Principle of Subsidiarity
- Chapter 1: The Gift of Human Being
- Chapter 1: Life and Dignity of the Human
- Chapter 2: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 1: Prudence
- Chapter 2: Three Aspects of the Moral Act
- Chapter 3: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality
- Chapter 3: Relativism by Chris Stefanick
- Chapter 3: The Five Precepts of the Catholic Church
- Chapter 4: The Beatitudes Lesson (Catholic Version)
- Chapter 4: Do's and Don'ts of Corporal Works of Mercy
- Chapter 4: The Fruits of the Holy Spirit
- Chapter 5: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality -- Conscience
- Chapter 5: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 4: Courage
- Chapter 5: St. Thomas More HD
- Chapter 6: Psalm 51
- Chapter 6: Ignite Your Faith -- What is Sin?
- Chapter 6: 7 Deadly Sins -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 7: Bishop Barron on the Ten Commandments
- Chapter 7: Eucharistic Adoration
- Chapter 7: Why Do I Have to Go to Mass?
- Chapter 8: Just War?
- Chapter 8: Euthanasia
- Chapter 8: Gianna Jessen makes us look like Pathetic Cowards
- Chapter 9: Homesexuality and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 9: Crystalina's Testimony
- Chapter 10: Social Teaching -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 10: Catholic Generosity Warms the Poor
- Chapter 10: The Seventh Commandment
- Chapter 10: C4 Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Should We Always Tell the Truth?
- Chapter 9: Leah Darrow of America's Next Top Model -- Conversion Story