Your Life in Christ: Foundations in Catholic Morality (Third Edition)
Chapter 6: Ignite Your Faith -- What is Sin?
Ignite Your Faith -- What is Sin?
Film Focus: In this video, Bishop Don Hying addresses the question, what is sin? He begins by discussing the answer according to the Church Fathers. He discusses the difference between mortal and venial sin and gives examples. Finally, he concludes by explaining that the ultimate purpose of humans is to overcome sin through the grace of Christ.
Text Focus: Pages 203–207
- How do the Church Fathers define sin? Why is this a good definition?
- What is the difference between mortal and venial sin? Give examples of each.
- How can you move towards the end of living in union with God? Give specific examples that can be implemented in your life.
- What must a Catholic do to come back into right relationship with God after they sin?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 6: Psalm 51
- Chapter 9: Leah Darrow of America's Next Top Model -- Conversion Story
- Chapter 10: C4 Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Should We Always Tell the Truth?
- Chapter 10: The Seventh Commandment
- Chapter 10: Catholic Generosity Warms the Poor
- Chapter 10: Social Teaching -- Catholic Central
- Chapter 9: Crystalina's Testimony
- Chapter 9: Homesexuality and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 8: Gianna Jessen makes us look like Pathetic Cowards
- Chapter 8: Euthanasia
- Chapter 8: Just War?
- Chapter 8: The Fourth Commandment
- Chapter 7: Why Do I Have to Go to Mass?
- Chapter 7: Eucharistic Adoration
- Chapter 7: Bishop Barron on the Ten Commandments
- Chapter 6: 7 Deadly Sins -- Catholic Central
- Introduction: Life in Jesus Christ
- Chapter 5: St. Thomas More HD
- Chapter 5: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 4: Courage
- Chapter 5: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality -- Conscience
- Chapter 4: The Fruits of the Holy Spirit
- Chapter 4: Do's and Don'ts of Corporal Works of Mercy
- Chapter 4: The Beatitudes Lesson (Catholic Version)
- Chapter 3: The Five Precepts of the Catholic Church
- Chapter 3: Relativism by Chris Stefanick
- Chapter 3: Fundamentals of Catholic Morality
- Chapter 2: Three Aspects of the Moral Act
- Chapter 2: The Cardinal Virtues, Part 1: Prudence
- Chapter 1: Life and Dignity of the Human
- Chapter 1: The Gift of Human Being
- Chapter 1: Vox Clamantis: The Principle of Subsidiarity