Chapter 8: Why Are Catholic Priests Male? The Sacrament of Holy Orders
Why Are Catholic Priests Male? The Sacrament of Holy Orders
Film Focus: This video provides an introduction to the Sacrament of Holy Orders. It includes a discussion of the three degrees of ordination. It concludes with a concise yet complete discussion of why only males are permitted to be ordained as Catholic priests.
Text Focus: Pages 249–252
- When was the Sacrament of Holy Orders instituted?
- What are the three degrees of ordination? Which first-century Church Father speaks about these three levels of the priesthood?
- Who has the fullness of Holy Orders? What power does this grant them?
- Why can only men be ordained to the priesthood? Why do you think that Jesus choose only males?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of the Eucharist as a Sacrifice
- Chapter 9: Live the Love: Discover Natural Family Planning
- Chapter 9: The Domestic Church
- Chapter 9: The Sacrament of Marriage
- Chapter 9: CHOSEN: Lesson 16, Seg. 1: What Is Marriage?
- Chapter 8: Sacraments 101: Holy Orders (what ordination means)
- Chapter 8: Priests Discuss Celibacy
- Chapter 7: The Sacraments: Anointing of the Sick
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of Suffering
- Chapter 7: Sacraments 101: Anointing of the Sick (who is it for)
- Chapter 6: Why Do I have to Confess to a Priest?
- Chapter 6: Mortal vs. Venial Sin
- Chapter 6: How Do I Go to Confession?
- Chapter 5: Sacraments 201: Eucharist (what we believe)
- Chapter 1: The Sacramental Economy
- Chapter 5: History of the Eucharist
- Chapter 4: What Happens at Confirmation?
- Chapter 4: Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Why Is Confirmation Important?
- Chapter 4: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Chapter 3: How Does Someone Become Catholic
- Chapter 3: Pope Francis on the Meaning of Baptism
- Chapter 3: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of Baptism
- Chapter 2: The Purpose of the Sacraments
- Chapter 2: Introduction to the Sacraments
- Chapter 2: The Liturgical Year
- Chapter 1: A Sacramental Life
- Chapter 1: Pope Francis: The sacraments will make you strong!