Chapter 6: Mortal vs. Venial Sin
Mortal vs. Venial Sin
Film Focus: In this video, Fr. Mike discusses the differentiation between mortal and venial sins, explaining that while multiple venial sins do not “add up” to a mortal sin, they can certainly weaken a soul and make them more likely to commit mortal sins. The video concludes with an exhortation to go to the Sacrament of Confession.
Text Focus: Page 192
- Where in the Bible does St. John discuss mortal and venial sins? Can you think of another place where this is discussed in the Bible?
- In your own words, explain the differentiation between mortal and venial sin.
- What are the three conditions for a sin to be a mortal sin?
- Should we only avoid mortal sins? Why or why not?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of the Eucharist as a Sacrifice
- Chapter 9: Live the Love: Discover Natural Family Planning
- Chapter 9: The Domestic Church
- Chapter 9: The Sacrament of Marriage
- Chapter 9: CHOSEN: Lesson 16, Seg. 1: What Is Marriage?
- Chapter 8: Sacraments 101: Holy Orders (what ordination means)
- Chapter 8: Priests Discuss Celibacy
- Chapter 8: Why Are Catholic Priests Male? The Sacrament of Holy Orders
- Chapter 7: The Sacraments: Anointing of the Sick
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of Suffering
- Chapter 7: Sacraments 101: Anointing of the Sick (who is it for)
- Chapter 6: Why Do I have to Confess to a Priest?
- Chapter 6: How Do I Go to Confession?
- Chapter 5: Sacraments 201: Eucharist (what we believe)
- Chapter 1: The Sacramental Economy
- Chapter 5: History of the Eucharist
- Chapter 4: What Happens at Confirmation?
- Chapter 4: Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Why Is Confirmation Important?
- Chapter 4: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Chapter 3: How Does Someone Become Catholic
- Chapter 3: Pope Francis on the Meaning of Baptism
- Chapter 3: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of Baptism
- Chapter 2: The Purpose of the Sacraments
- Chapter 2: Introduction to the Sacraments
- Chapter 2: The Liturgical Year
- Chapter 1: A Sacramental Life
- Chapter 1: Pope Francis: The sacraments will make you strong!