Chapter 1: The Sacramental Economy
The Sacramental Economy
Film Focus: This video discusses the meaning of the term “sacramental economy” and connects the sacraments to the daily life of a faithful Catholic. In addition, this video briefly introduces the classical definition of a sacrament as an “efficacious, outward sign, instituted by Christ that gives grace”.
Text Focus: Pages 3–6, 19–21
- What does the term “economy” mean in Catholic terms? How is this different from a secular use of the term?
- Dr. Drummond says, “to be a Catholic is to be a person of the sacraments.” Discuss two ways that you might live your own life so as to be a “person of the sacraments.”
- How are the sacraments connected to other aspects of a Catholic’s life?
- What is the definition of a sacrament?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: Sacraments 201: Eucharist (what we believe)
- Chapter 9: Live the Love: Discover Natural Family Planning
- Chapter 9: The Domestic Church
- Chapter 9: The Sacrament of Marriage
- Chapter 9: CHOSEN: Lesson 16, Seg. 1: What Is Marriage?
- Chapter 8: Sacraments 101: Holy Orders (what ordination means)
- Chapter 8: Priests Discuss Celibacy
- Chapter 8: Why Are Catholic Priests Male? The Sacrament of Holy Orders
- Chapter 7: The Sacraments: Anointing of the Sick
- Chapter 7: The Meaning of Suffering
- Chapter 7: Sacraments 101: Anointing of the Sick (who is it for)
- Chapter 6: Why Do I have to Confess to a Priest?
- Chapter 6: Mortal vs. Venial Sin
- Chapter 6: How Do I Go to Confession?
- Chapter 1: Pope Francis: The sacraments will make you strong!
- Chapter 5: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of the Eucharist as a Sacrifice
- Chapter 5: History of the Eucharist
- Chapter 4: What Happens at Confirmation?
- Chapter 4: Ignite Your Catholic Faith -- Why Is Confirmation Important?
- Chapter 4: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Chapter 3: How Does Someone Become Catholic
- Chapter 3: Pope Francis on the Meaning of Baptism
- Chapter 3: Bishop Barron on the Sacrament of Baptism
- Chapter 2: The Purpose of the Sacraments
- Chapter 2: Introduction to the Sacraments
- Chapter 2: The Liturgical Year
- Chapter 1: A Sacramental Life