Jesus Christ: Source of Our Salvation (Second Edition)
Chapter 5: Why Did Jesus Have to Die the Way He Did?
Why Did Jesus Have to Die the Way He Did?
Film Focus: This video, by Bishop Robert Barron, explores how Jesus came as an infant into enemy territory, how he was denied and betrayed by those around him, and how he was triumphant in the end.
Text Focus: Pages 162-164
- Bishop Barron uses the image of the baby Jesus being “snuck” behind enemy lines. How is this significant for our salvation?
- Jesus’ divinity awakened opposition from the sinful nature of man on this earth. What forms of resistance and denial did Jesus encounter as a result of this opposition?
- Why is it significant that Jesus really died upon the cross?
- What happens to all the sin of the world in the face of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross? Why?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 5: Mark Hart on Jesus Christ’s Passion and Death
- Chapter 9: What Is the Liturgy of the Hours?
- Chapter 9: Rediscover: Forms of Prayer
- Chapter 9: Tips for Praying
- Chapter 9: C4: Ignite Your Faith—What Is Prayer?
- Chapter 8: Do’s and Don’ts of Evangelization
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on Faith, Hope, and Love
- Chapter 8: Fr. Ben Talks about Formation of Conscience
- Chapter 7: The Four Last Things
- Chapter 7: What Is the Last Judgment?
- Chapter 7: Sacraments 101: Baptism (Why We Baptize)
- Chapter 6: Pentecost
- Chapter 6: Mark Hart on Jesus Christ's Resurrection
- Chapter 6: Is the Resurrection a Lie?
- Chapter 1: What’s the Story on Creation?
- Chapter 5: Why Was the Cross Necessary (Faith Seeking Understanding)
- Chapter 4: What is a Parable?
- Chapter 4: St. Peter, the First Pope
- Chapter 4: Bible Theater: Luke—Jesus Calls His First Disciples
- Chapter 3: How Can Jesus be Both God and Human?
- Chapter 3: Who is Jesus?
- Chapter 3: Son of God -- Hillsong Worship
- Chapter 2: The Archangels
- Chapter 2: The Bible and Covenant
- Chapter 2: What Is Original Sin?
- Chapter 2: How Do We Have Free Will If God Is All Knowing?
- Chapter 1: Bishop Barron on Misreading Genesis
- Chapter 1: The Four Senses of Scripture