Chapter 5: Why Did Jesus Have to Die the Way He Did?
Why Did Jesus Have to Die the Way He Did?
Film Focus: This video, by Bishop Robert Barron, explores how Jesus came as an infant into enemy territory, how he was denied and betrayed by those around him, and how he was triumphant in the end.
Text Focus: Pages 162-164
- Bishop Barron uses the image of the baby Jesus being “snuck” behind enemy lines. How is this significant for our salvation?
- Jesus’ divinity awakened opposition from the sinful nature of man on this earth. What forms of resistance and denial did Jesus encounter as a result of this opposition?
- Why is it significant that Jesus really died upon the cross?
- What happens to all the sin of the world in the face of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross? Why?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 1: What’s the Story on Creation?
- Chapter 1: The Four Senses of Scripture
- Chapter 1: Bishop Barron on Misreading Genesis
- Chapter 2: How Do We Have Free Will If God Is All Knowing?
- Chapter 2: What Is Original Sin?
- Chapter 2: The Bible and Covenant
- Chapter 2: The Archangels
- Chapter 3: Son of God -- Hillsong Worship
- Chapter 3: Who is Jesus?
- Chapter 3: How Can Jesus be Both God and Human?
- Chapter 4: Bible Theater: Luke—Jesus Calls His First Disciples
- Chapter 4: St. Peter, the First Pope
- Chapter 4: What is a Parable?
- Chapter 5: Why Was the Cross Necessary (Faith Seeking Understanding)
- Chapter 5: Mark Hart on Jesus Christ’s Passion and Death
- Chapter 6: Is the Resurrection a Lie?
- Chapter 6: Mark Hart on Jesus Christ's Resurrection
- Chapter 6: Pentecost
- Chapter 7: Sacraments 101: Baptism (Why We Baptize)
- Chapter 7: What Is the Last Judgment?
- Chapter 7: The Four Last Things
- Chapter 8: Fr. Ben Talks about Formation of Conscience
- Chapter 8: Bishop Barron on Faith, Hope, and Love
- Chapter 8: Do’s and Don’ts of Evangelization
- Chapter 9: C4: Ignite Your Faith—What Is Prayer?
- Chapter 9: Tips for Praying
- Chapter 9: Rediscover: Forms of Prayer
- Chapter 9: What Is the Liturgy of the Hours?