Chapter 8: Catholicism and the Just War [Defense] Tradition
Catholicism and the Just War [Defense] Tradition (In six parts)
- Introduction – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjYEI4dp8U8 Running Time: 5:01
- Jesus and the Early Church – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPOi7nbYAys Running Time: 3:49
- St. Augustine – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSWCb2s13n0 Running Time: 3:21
- The Just Defense Theory – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rkbW_RlyQQ Running Time: 9:38
- Objections to the Just Defense Theory – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnAd80H_dCc Running Time: 5:12
- Epilogue – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWlOy13A2lM Running Time: 2:14
Film Focus Point: This series provides an historical overview of the Just War Theory which is suitable for high school classrooms and run between two to nine minutes.
Text Focus Point: Pages 264-269
- What values are in conflict for Catholic Christians when it comes to the use of violence and deadly force?
- Why don’t all Christians, given gospel values, agree on the use of violence?
- Why is conflict inevitable?
- What insights presented here is useful in your understanding the use of violence and deadly force?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 1: Is consumerism the new religion?
- Chapter 1: What is the Holy Trinity?
- Chapter 1: You Raise Me Up
- Chapter 1: Scandal and The Dignity of Every Human Life
- Chapter 2: What do Catholics mean by authority?
- Chapter 2: Sermon on the Mount: The Beatitudes
- Chapter 2: About Catholic Charities USA
- Chapter 2: Why Catholics care about people living in poverty
- Chapter 3: Peace Depends on Human Dignity (Pope Francis)
- Chapter 3: What is The Moral Principle of Double Effect? (NCBC)
- Chapter 3: The Science of Stem Cells. Finding Cures and Protecting Life (A Catholic View)
- Chapter 3: Assisted Suicide: The Catholic Perspective
- Chapter 4: The Domestic Church
- Chapter 4: An Introduction to the Theology of the Body
- Chapter 4: Contraception, Catholicism, and Humanae Vitae (Columbia Catholic Ministry)
- Chapter 4: Marriage & Cohabitation (Ken Yasinski)
- Chapter 5: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Chapter 5: The Principle of Subsidiarity
- Chapter 5: What Is Natural Law? (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Chapter 5: Socrates Meets a Moral Relativist
- Chapter 5: Civil Disobedience (Martin Luther King Jr.)
- Chapter 6: The Legacy of Frederic Ozanam
- Chapter 6: The Cry of the Poor by John Michael Talbot
- Chapter 6: General Awareness Video (Catholic Relief Services)
- Chapter 6: What is the New Evangelization?
- Chapter 6: How do you take down poverty?
- Chapter 7: Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: Budgeting for Poverty
- Chapter 7: Is Capitalism Catholic?
- Chapter 7: Vocation 101: What is Vocation?
- Chapter 8: Solidarity Movement in Poland 1970-80s
- Chapter 8: Immigration and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 8: The Last Acceptable Prejudice (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Chapter 9: Creation and the Eucharist
- Chapter 9: Water Poverty
- Chapter 9: Pope on World Environment Day
- Chapter 9: Chief Seattle’s Reply