Foundations of Catholic Social Teaching
Chapter 5: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Film Focus Point: This program, produced by the Human Rights Action Center, reviews the rights guaranteed by the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Near the conclusion of the program, the narrator cites the case of Aung San Suu Kyi – the democratically elected leader of Berma – as a symbol of this declaration.
Text Focus Point: Pages 143-147
- Look back at the rights emphasized in the introductory section of chapter five. Which of the rights promoted by the U.N. Declaration of Human Rights coincide with the Church’s view of fundamental human rights?
- What is the source of these human rights according to the Church? According to the United Nations?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 1: Is consumerism the new religion?
- Chapter 1: What is the Holy Trinity?
- Chapter 1: You Raise Me Up
- Chapter 1: Scandal and The Dignity of Every Human Life
- Chapter 2: What do Catholics mean by authority?
- Chapter 2: Sermon on the Mount: The Beatitudes
- Chapter 2: About Catholic Charities USA
- Chapter 2: Why Catholics care about people living in poverty
- Chapter 3: Peace Depends on Human Dignity (Pope Francis)
- Chapter 3: What is The Moral Principle of Double Effect? (NCBC)
- Chapter 3: The Science of Stem Cells. Finding Cures and Protecting Life (A Catholic View)
- Chapter 3: Assisted Suicide: The Catholic Perspective
- Chapter 4: The Domestic Church
- Chapter 4: An Introduction to the Theology of the Body
- Chapter 4: Contraception, Catholicism, and Humanae Vitae (Columbia Catholic Ministry)
- Chapter 4: Marriage & Cohabitation (Ken Yasinski)
- Chapter 5: The Principle of Subsidiarity
- Chapter 5: What Is Natural Law? (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Chapter 5: Socrates Meets a Moral Relativist
- Chapter 5: Civil Disobedience (Martin Luther King Jr.)
- Chapter 6: The Legacy of Frederic Ozanam
- Chapter 6: The Cry of the Poor by John Michael Talbot
- Chapter 6: General Awareness Video (Catholic Relief Services)
- Chapter 6: What is the New Evangelization?
- Chapter 6: How do you take down poverty?
- Chapter 7: Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: Budgeting for Poverty
- Chapter 7: Is Capitalism Catholic?
- Chapter 7: Vocation 101: What is Vocation?
- Chapter 8: Solidarity Movement in Poland 1970-80s
- Chapter 8: Immigration and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 8: Catholicism and the Just War [Defense] Tradition
- Chapter 8: The Last Acceptable Prejudice (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Chapter 9: Creation and the Eucharist
- Chapter 9: Water Poverty
- Chapter 9: Pope on World Environment Day
- Chapter 9: Chief Seattle’s Reply