Foundations of Catholic Social Teaching
Chapter 2: Why Catholics care about people living in poverty
Why Catholics care about people living in poverty
Film Focus Point: This video emphasizes the preferential option for the poor and vulnerable and the necessity of acting on behalf of those living in poverty and vulnerable situations. It imparts a challenging message from the bishops.
Text Focus Point: Page 61
- What does the narrator mean when he refers to those on the margins of society? Who exactly are the “vulnerable?”
- What did St. Pope John Paul II mean when he said “that in these times, the preferential option for the poor has to be expressed in worldwide dimensions?”
- Why is the preferential option for the poor and vulnerable necessarily linked to the theme of life and dignity of the human person?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Chapter 1: Is consumerism the new religion?
- Chapter 1: What is the Holy Trinity?
- Chapter 1: You Raise Me Up
- Chapter 1: Scandal and The Dignity of Every Human Life
- Chapter 2: What do Catholics mean by authority?
- Chapter 2: Sermon on the Mount: The Beatitudes
- Chapter 2: About Catholic Charities USA
- Chapter 3: Peace Depends on Human Dignity (Pope Francis)
- Chapter 3: What is The Moral Principle of Double Effect? (NCBC)
- Chapter 3: The Science of Stem Cells. Finding Cures and Protecting Life (A Catholic View)
- Chapter 3: Assisted Suicide: The Catholic Perspective
- Chapter 4: The Domestic Church
- Chapter 4: An Introduction to the Theology of the Body
- Chapter 4: Contraception, Catholicism, and Humanae Vitae (Columbia Catholic Ministry)
- Chapter 4: Marriage & Cohabitation (Ken Yasinski)
- Chapter 5: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Chapter 5: The Principle of Subsidiarity
- Chapter 5: What Is Natural Law? (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Chapter 5: Socrates Meets a Moral Relativist
- Chapter 5: Civil Disobedience (Martin Luther King Jr.)
- Chapter 6: The Legacy of Frederic Ozanam
- Chapter 6: The Cry of the Poor by John Michael Talbot
- Chapter 6: General Awareness Video (Catholic Relief Services)
- Chapter 6: What is the New Evangelization?
- Chapter 6: How do you take down poverty?
- Chapter 7: Rerum Novarum
- Chapter 7: Budgeting for Poverty
- Chapter 7: Is Capitalism Catholic?
- Chapter 7: Vocation 101: What is Vocation?
- Chapter 8: Solidarity Movement in Poland 1970-80s
- Chapter 8: Immigration and the Catholic Church
- Chapter 8: Catholicism and the Just War [Defense] Tradition
- Chapter 8: The Last Acceptable Prejudice (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Chapter 9: Creation and the Eucharist
- Chapter 9: Water Poverty
- Chapter 9: Pope on World Environment Day
- Chapter 9: Chief Seattle’s Reply