Part 1B: Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho (Elvis Presley)
Elvis Presley Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho
Film Focus Point: This is a recording of Elvis Presley singing the traditional hymn entitled, “Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho,” which recalls the Israelite conquest recorded in the Book of Joshua. The lyrics to the song may be found at AZ Lyrics.
Text Focus Point: Pages 78–80
How faithful are the lyrics to the story of the Israelite conquest of Jericho as recorded in the book of Joshua?
This is a famous African American spiritual believed to have been composed by slaves during the early nineteenth century. Why would this story appeal to slaves?
Looking for teacher resources? Sign in or create an account to request access to teacher materials
- Part 1: What Is the Bible All About?
- Part 1: The Bible: A Brief History
- Part 1: Who Wrote the Bible, God or Humans?
- Part 1: The Four Senses of Scripture
- Part 1: Proof of Noah's Ark?
- Part 1: Aesop's Fable: The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- Part 1: How Did the Old Testament Canon Develop?
- Part 1A: What's the Story on Creation?
- Part 1A: What is a Coventant?
- Part 1A: Fr. Barron comments on Misreading Genesis
- Part 1A: Mysteries of the Church: Sin
- Part 1A: Abraham – A Man of Faith
- Part 1A: Names of God
- Part 1A: Passover, the Last Supper, and the Catholic Mass
- Part 1B: Josiah and the Book of the Law
- Part 1B: Deborah and Barak
- Part 1B: Geography of Israel
- Part 1C: Purim Animated
- Part 1C: Archenemy: The Philistines
- Part 1C: David, King of Israel
- Part 1C: Solomon's Temple
- Part 1C: North and South
- Part 1C: Zoroastrianism
- Part 1D: The Mystery of Evil
- Part 1D: Psalm 29
- Part 1D: Psalm 128
- Part 1D: Jesus in the Psalms–1000 BC
- Part 1D: Turn! Turn! Turn! Ecclesiastes 3:1-15
- Part 1E: Prophet Timeline
- Part 1E: Why Study Prophecy
- Part 1E: Dorothy Day
- Part 1E: Romero Full Movie
- Part 1E: Jesus the Suffering Servant
- Part 1E: The Prophet Ezekiel and the Sex Abuse Crisis (Fr. Robert Barron)
- Part 1E: Hosea - Come Back to Me
- Part 2A: The Holy Spirit and the Acts of the Apostles
- Part 2: The New Testament Canon
- Part 2B: The Tomb of St. Paul
- Part 2B: Apostle Paul on Love (1 Corinthians 13)
- Part 2B: Philippians 2:5-11
- Part 2B: The Second Coming of Christ
- Part 2B: What is the New Evangelization?
- Part 2B: Paul, Philemon, and Slavery
- Part 2C: The Catholic Letters
- Part 2C: Jesus the Suffering Servant
- Part 2C: Modern Spirituality and Gnosticism (Fr. Barron & Dr. Scott Hahn)